This week I met with the Deputy Prime Minister, the Hon Warren Truss to brief him on some of the key issues facing the sector. During the meeting I gave him a copy of our Federal Budget submission highlighting some of our strategic priorities including:
- Restoring the indexation of Financial Assistance Grants;
- Establishing a $100 million Strategic Regional Roads Program;
- Funding regional and community infrastructure at a cost of $300 million per annum;
- Funding a disaster mitigation program at a level of $200 million per annum; and
- Providing $40 million over four years to support councils to undertake climate vulnerability assessment and develop adaptation plans.
The Deputy Prime Minister has confirmed he will address the NGA this year which will be held from 14 – 17 June in Canberra. Registrations for the 2015 NGA are now open. Information on the program and online registration is available here.