On 18 June 2015, the Senate referred the threat of marine plastic pollution in Australia and Australian waters to the Environment and Communications References Committee for inquiry and report by 8 April 2016.
The committee has invited written submissions from the community addressing issues that may be of relevance by 10 September 2015.
The terms of reference for the inquiry include:
- the review of current research and scientific understanding of plastic pollution in the marine environment
- sources of marine plastic pollution
- the impacts of marine plastic pollution, including impacts on species and ecosystems, fisheries, small business, and human health
- measures and resourcing for mitigation
- any other relevant matters.
Submissions can be provided by uploading it to https://senate.aph.gov.au/submissions/pages/logon.aspx. Alternatively, submissions may be emailed as an attached document to email@example.com or mailed to PO Box 6100, Parliament House, Canberra ACT 2600.
More information about this inquiry is available at this link.