ALGA has called for local government infrastructure to be included in Infrastructure Australia’s remit moving forward, through an independent review into this body.
ALGA’s submission highlights the key role councils play planning, building and maintaining the roads and facilities that communities rely on every day, as well as the ongoing challenges councils are facing maintaining this infrastructure.
It includes five recommendations, which are
- A rejuvenated Infrastructure Australia should consider and manage the maintenance of Australia’s infrastructure as per international best practice.
- The relative lack of a national focus on local government infrastructure maintenance has left councils across Australia with a multi-billion infrastructure backlog that only a rejuvenated Infrastructure Australia can properly address.
- Local government infrastructure must be part of the planning and decision-making process for a rejuvenated Infrastructure Australia
- Local government infrastructure must be overseen at a national level by Infrastructure Australia.
- Infrastructure Australia’s remit should also include social infrastructure, across the local government sector.
ALGA’s full submission to the independent review of Infrastructure Australia can be downloaded here.