Labor’s National Platform outlines its key policy priorities heading into an election year.
In its recently-released National Platform, Labor has pledged to work with local government to ensure it has a secure economic base. The Platform states that Labor will:
- provide long-term funding certainty
- provide funding through the ongoing Financial Assistance Grants and index these appropriately
- support funding for local government-maintained roads and participate in a range of programs to provide direct funding to local government
- establish a mechanism to consult directly with local government to ensure it has strong and direct relationship with federal government
- ensure local government has a voice within Infrastructure Australia and in regional development
- work with local government to improve their efficiency and financial sustainability, and
- work with local, state and territory governments through COAG to improve the financial sustainability of local government.
The Platform also pledges to enter partnerships with local government to improve local community services and infrastructure.
“Labor will help local government innovate in management and construction of social and community infrastructure to deliver benefits and opportunities for local communities,” it says.
The Platform also acknowledges the role of local government in other areas such as emergency management and settlement of refugees.
Read Labor’s National Platform in full on its website.