National preparedness briefings with police, fire authorities and other emergency services have begun ahead of the upcoming bushfire season.
Virtual briefings began last week with Queensland authorities and will continue throughout October.
Emergency Management Australia (EMA) is coordinating the briefings, with input from the National Recovery and Resilience Agency, the Bureau of Meteorology, the Australian Defence Force and Services Australia.
The briefings will include:
- information on the availability and capability of Commonwealth government assets, including the Australian Defence Force;
- natural disaster support arrangements cooperative response procedures under the Australian Emergency Management;
- Arrangements, such as the Commonwealth Disaster Response Plan;
- seasonal outlooks from the Bureau of Meteorology (BoM) in relation to severe fire weather and cyclone activity; and
- bushfire detection and mapping capabilities.