ALGA is now calling for Notices of Motions for the National General Assembly 2019 (NGA).
The NGA will be celebrating 25 years in 2019! Over the past 25 years, the NGA has provided a platform for local government to address national issues and lobby the federal government on critical issues facing our sector.
The theme for the 2019 NGA is ‘Future Focused’; this theme acknowledges that the assembly will be held after a federal election and that, as a sector, our collective voice will need to be heard by the incoming government to deliver on collaboration for our communities.
ALGA received significant feedback on the motions process and topics from the 2018 NGA. In response to the feedback received, ALGA has prepared a discussion paper that explores data that identifies critical areas local government needs to consider now and into the future.
To inform the submission of motions, please read the discussion paper and ensure motions meet the identified criteria.
To be eligible for inclusion in the NGA Business Papers, and subsequent debate on the floor of the NGA, motions must meet the following criteria:
- be relevant to the work of local government nationally;
- be consistent with the themes of the NGA;
- complement or build on the policy objectives of your state and territory local government association;
- be from a council which is a financial member of their state or territory local government association;
- propose a clear action and outcome; and
- not be advanced on behalf of external third parties that may seek to use the NGA to apply pressure to Board members or to gain national political exposure for positions that are not directly relevant to the work of, or in the national interests of, local government.
All motions require, among other things, a contact officer, a clear national objective, a summary of the key arguments in support of the motion, and endorsement of your council.
Motions should be lodged online at alga.asn.au no later than 11:59pm on Friday 29 March 2019.
Any administrative inquiries can be directed to ALGA by calling 02 6122 9400.
You can also take advantage of early bird rates and register for ALGA here: https://www.nga19.com.au/index.html