2023-24 Federal Budget
On your behalf, over many months, ALGA worked incredibly hard in the lead-up to the recent Federal Budget 2023-24, handed down by Federal Treasurer Jim Chalmers on Tuesday 9 May.
We welcomed the Budget from Canberra on Budget Night as a “solid investment” in local government, with councils receiving $3.1 billion in Financial Assistance Grants over the next 12 months.
However, it is disappointing that another Federal Budget had passed without the Government delivering on its pre-election promise of “fair increases” to FA grants. We will continue to work with all of you to advocate to the Government to ensure this happens, aiming to return local government funding to at least one percent of Commonwealth taxation revenue.
Without further work together, the quantum of Federal Assistance Grants are at risk.
ALGA was also able to deliver the following Budget wins for you:
- $3.1 billion in Financial Assistance Grants
- $484 million in Roads to Recovery funding
- $60 million over three years in supplementary road funding for South Australian councils
- $200 million Thriving Suburbs Program (local governments eligible to apply)
- $150 million Urban Precincts and Partnerships Program (local governments eligible to apply)
- $200 million for the Disaster Ready Fund (DRF)
- $120 million Black Spot Program
- Additional $13.5 million round of the Remote Airstrip Upgrade Program
- $236 million over 10 years for flood warning infrastructure (rain gauges)
- $10 million for a national waste education campaign.
Don’t miss your meeting with the Prime Minister
ALGA is delighted to be partnering with the Federal Government on the return of the Australian Council of Local Government (ACLG), which will be held immediately after our Conference.
All councils should have now received invitations to attend the ACLG Gala Dinner at Parliament House on 15 June as well as the ACLG Forum on 16 June.
There is no cost to attend either the Dinner or Forum, and there is also the option to attend virtually if required.
If you haven’t booked for anything else, please ensure your Council staff book you to attend the ACLG in Canberra on Friday 16 June alongside the Prime Minister, Federal Cabinet and Government. This is your only opportunity to join all national Mayors for this Federal and local government conversation.
For those combining their trip to Canberra with ALGA’s conference, don’t forget to grab your tickets here for that event too: https://conferenceco.eventsair.com/nga23 and I’ll see you in Canberra in a few weeks!