The Department of Agriculture and Water Resources is seeking input into the content of a new National Biosecurity Statement.
Currently there is no single, overarching national policy statement or strategy shared by all biosecurity system participants.
A National Biosecurity Statement will present a common and unified approach to biosecurity by:
- providing a national vision and goals for biosecurity
- providing clarity on the roles and responsibilities of all participants
- outlining priorities and principles for managing biosecurity risk.
Creating a National Biosecurity Statement was a recommendation of the 2017 independent report Priorities for Australia’s Biosecurity System, also known as the IGAB Review.
Share your ideas on what should be included in the statement. In doing so, please consider the following questions:
- What does biosecurity mean to you?
- What is your role within Australia’s biosecurity system?
- What responsibilities do you have in building a stronger and more effective biosecurity system?
- What are the benefits of having a nationally agreed statement shared by all and how would you use it?
- Is there any other information you would like to see in the statement?
- How should we present the statement to achieve our goal?
To make a submission, go to the Department’s website.