The NGA is an important opportunity for you and your council to influence the national policy agenda. The primary focus of all motions should be to strengthen the capacity of local government to provide services and infrastructure in Australia.
To be eligible for inclusion in the NGA Business Papers, and subsequent debate on the floor of the NGA, motions must meet the following criteria;
- Be relevant to the work of local government nationally
- Be consistent with the theme of the NGA
- Complement or build on the policy objectives of your state and territory local government association
- Be submitted by a council which is a financial member of their state or territory local government association
- Propose a clear action and outcome
- Not be advanced on behalf of external third parties that may seek to use the NGA to apply pressure to Board members or to gain national political exposure for positions that are not directly relevant to the work of, or in the national interests of, local government.
To assist you to identify motions that address the 2019 theme, Future Focused, the Australian Local Government Association Secretariat has prepared a short discussion paper.
Motions should be submitted electronically via the online form at: https://alga.com.au/forms/2019-national-general-assembly-call-for-motions/ and should be received by the Australian Local Government Association no later than Friday 29 March 2018.
For more information contact ALGA on (02) 6122 9400.